Housekeeping service for seniors.
Are you seeking a housekeeping service for seniors? Maintaining a home is no easy task. The private caregivers with Abby Services can assist with light housekeeping but sometimes seniors need more than just light housekeeping.
Abby Services can help seniors find caregivers to help with light housekeeping.
Abby Services has been helping residents of Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and the surrounding area find great caregivers to help them live independently since 1997. While the caregivers who work with Abby Services can do a lot to help seniors live independently, sometimes the seniors we serve need additional help. One area many folks require additional support with is finding a reliable housekeeping service for seniors.
The Agency for Healthcare Accreditation defines what the private in-home caregivers who work with Abby Services can do. One regulation defines their duties as “light housekeeping”. The intent is to maintain a clean and safe environment for patients to live.
What if a senior needs more than light housekeeping?
What is light housekeeping anyway? If you are asking that question you are not alone. Many seniors we work with are often confused about what light housekeeping entails.
The way we describe it is that a private caregiver is not meant to replace a professional housekeeping service for seniors, but to support them in maintaining a clean environment.
A private caregiver may help to prolong the time between housekeeper visits however a private caregiver is not meant to take the place of a professional housekeeper.
If you are working with Abby Services you already have excellent caregiver support to help you remain independent.
Here are some key items to consider if you are hiring a housekeeping service for seniors. Adapted from Home Advisor:
How to choose the right housekeeping service for seniors.
Choosing the right housekeeping service for seniors can be tricky. But it doesn’t have to be. You just need to ask the right questions.
What services do they cover?
This is an important question because there are a variety of services staffed by trained professional house cleaners and they are available in a wide variety of options including:
- Weekly visits.
- Biweekly visits.
- One-time assistance
- Even specific situations such as events – before and after.
You may contact larger groups with many housekeepers, or an individual managing their own business. It is important to ask who will actually be performing the cleaning when interviewing. Many consumers prefer consistency.
What is your budget and what do you really need to be done?
Most large companies have a basic package with optional services. Plans often start with a deep clean which covers the entire home.
One-time visits tend to cost twice as much as a regularly scheduled recurring visit.
Maid Services can cost an average of $150 per visit. Independent housekeepers command $40 to $60 per visit since they charge between $25 to $35 per hour.
Interview services and ask the right questions.
Knowing the right questions to ask not only gives you peace of mind but also ensures you find the cleaner that fits your needs. Here are a few questions you shouldn’t skip:
- What are your rates?
- Also find out if it’s by the service, hour or square foot, or a flat fee.
- Do you do background checks on your cleaners?
- If they do, ask to see them.
- Are you insured and bonded?
- Professional housekeeping service (s) for seniors should be fully insured and bonded and will provide estimates.
- Who supplies the cleaning products?
- You can also ask about environmentally friendly products. Some companies bring their own while others require you to supply the chemicals.
- What guarantees do you offer
- You’re paying for a professional housekeeping service for seniors that you should be 100% satisfied with.
- Do I need to crate my dog or cat?
- If you have pets, discuss this ahead of time.
- How will you get into my home?
- It’s best to get a full list of anyone who has access to your home.
- Will it be the same crew every week?
- As discussed before consistency is key and many consumers prefer continuity in the individuals cleaning their home.
- How long have you been in business?
- It’s also a good idea to make sure your cleaning company has a physical address to avoid scams.
- Can I get all this in a written contract?
- What are your rates?
Understand what to expect when the service starts.
Discuss payment for cleaning services ahead of time. The best way to avoid confusion is with a clearly written contract. Be sure to discuss payment arrangements before your first appointment. The service should have an established system in place already. If not, decide if you want to pay after each visit, or monthly. Be clear about included services and your expectations.