Pets For Patriots: Helping find pets for veterans.
Why Abby Services believes Pets For Patriots is a great option to find pets for veterans.
Fort Myers has many senior veterans who have served our country. Unfortunately in our area we have many animals in need of adoption as well.
That’s why we think the Pets for Patriots program is great. The Pets For Patriots program helps United States military veterans adopt a new pet friend while giving overlooked shelter dogs and cats hope and a home.
To help promote the bond between pet and owner and reduce the chance of adopted animals being surrendered to shelters, Pets for Patriots supports veterans by making pet guardianship more affordable over the life of the pet, including ‘welcome home’ contributions for pet food and other essentials, access to high-quality, discounted veterinary care, and discounts on a range of pet-related goods and services.
Pets For Patriots reports that:
- $77,416 has been directed towards essential, life-saving, and palliative medical care for veterans’ pets, through their program.
- $701,164 has been distributed through their pet food and hardship programs to help veterans provide for their new best friends.
Did you know that an in-home caregiver can assist with pet care?
Often the veterans Abby Services works together with are seniors who may need a private caregiver to assist them in caring for their pets.
Did you know among other things, the private caregivers Abby Services works together with can also assist with pet care? From Scooping litter, to going for walks, to helping at a veterinary appointment a private caregiver through Abby Services can help.
The Pets For Patriots Website has many sobering statistics including:
- Every day 20 veterans take their own lives. Every eight seconds a dog or cat is put to death for lack of anyone to adopt them. Companion pet adoption saves two lives.
- 1 IN 5 Iraq/Afghanistan veterans suffer from major depression, increasing their risk of suicide.(Pets give unconditional love and acceptance, and a renewed sense of purpose in our lives, reducing the incidence of suicide)
- 3 MILLION Pets will not make it out of a shelter alive each year, roughly equal to the population of Iowa(Every dog or cat adopted makes room in a shelter for another animal to be saved, through this program both Veterans and adopted animals benefit)
Abby Services is proud to help veterans in Fort Myers and Cape Coral find the best in-home caregivers our area has to offer. We are including a free resource to help aging veterans who may need in-home care and support.