Abby Services has been helping residents of Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and the surrounding area find great caregivers to help them live independently since 1997. While the caregivers who work with Abby Services can do a lot to help seniors live independently, sometimes the seniors we serve need additional help. One area many folks require additional support with is housekeeping.
The Agency for Healthcare Accreditation defines what the private in-home caregivers who work with Abby Services can do. One regulation defines their duties as “light housekeeping”. The intent is to maintain a clean and safe environment for patients to live in. However, seniors are often confused about what light housekeeping entails.
The way we describe it is that a private caregiver is not meant to replace a professional housekeeper but to support them in maintaining a clean environment. A private caregiver may prolong the time between housekeeper visits however a private caregiver is not meant to take the place of a professional housekeeper.
If you are working with Abby Services You already have excellent support to remain independent. Here are some things to consider if you are hiring a private housekeeping service as originally published by Home Advisor:
Steps to Choosing the Right Cleaning Service
Choosing the right service is a straightforward process of research and asking the right questions. Unlike bosses who make your interview a nightmare as seen on this post on Metro, You should be asking questions relevant to the job.
Find out what services they cover.
- Services staffed by trained professional house cleaners, are available in a wide variety of options including:
- Regularly scheduled weekly visits.
- Regularly scheduled biweekly visits.
- One-time assistance on special occasions.
- Demanding tasks such as garage or basement cleaning.
- Events – before and after.
Determine your budget and what you really need done.
With most large companies, you can expect a basic package with optional services. Most plans start with a deep clean which covers the entire home. One-time visits tend to cost twice as much as a regularly scheduled recurring visit. But how much is your free time worth to you? The average American spends about 13 hours per week doing chores.
Maid Services cost an average of $150 per visit. For independent housekeepers, expect to spend between $40 to $60 per visit since they charge between $25 to $35 per hour. Service providers charge per hour or per area as a flat rate – the larger the home, the higher the price. You may be quoted more per hour for a professional company, but they generally work in teams to get the job done quickly.
Interview services and ask the right questions.
Knowing the right questions to ask not only gives you peace of mind but also ensures you find the cleaner that fits your needs. Here are a few you shouldn’t skip:
- What are your rates? Also find out if it’s by the service, hour or square foot or a flat fee.
- Do you do background checks on your employees? If they do, ask to see them.
- Are you insured and bonded? Most professional services are fully insured and bonded and will provide estimates.
- Who supplies the cleaning products? You can also ask about environmentally friendly products. Some companies bring their own while others require you to supply the chemicals.
- What guarantees do you offer? You’re paying for a service that you should be 100% satisfied with.
- Do I need to crate my dog or cat? If you have pets, discuss this ahead of time.
- How will you get into my home? It’s best to get a full list of anyone who has access to your home.
- Will it be the same crew every week?
- How long have you been in business? It’s also a good idea to make sure your cleaning company has a physical address to avoid scams.
- Can I get all this in a written contract?
Understand what to expect when the service starts.
Discuss payment for cleaning services ahead of time. The best way to avoid confusion is with a clearly written contract. Be sure to discuss payment arrangements before your first appointment. The service should have an established system in place already. If not, decide if you want to pay after each visit, or monthly. Be clear about included services and your expectations.
It can all be a lot to consider. At Abby Services we are here to help. Here are just a few local services worth checking out: