Starting June 1st pandemic unemployment benefits will be changing in Florida.
Some believe this could provide relief for the lack of in-home senior caregivers many have been reporting.
How will unemployment changes affect in-home caregiver availability?
Many believe that increased unemployment benefits have deterred in-home senior caregivers from seeking work opportunities. This has led to a noticeable caregiver shortage and a sharp rise in the cost of care. With the elimination and further regulation of these unemployment benefits, many seniors seeking in-home care are hoping this will result in increased availability of in-home caregivers.
So what is changing?
- The Department of Economic Opportunity announced that a $300 per week additional unemployment benefit will be ending the week of June 27th.
- This could provide an incentive to those not working to seek work opportunities as in-home caregivers.
- To continue to receive benefits Floridians must show proof that they are seeking work.
- During the pandemic, the DEO (Department of Economic Opportunity) work search requirement was lifted. This meant that individuals could receive benefits without showing proof that they were seeking gainful employment. This requirement will be reinstated in June.
- Abby Services is always seeking qualified in-home caregivers seeking opportunities to provide assistance to seniors. Per Scott Strachan, an RN, and owner of Abby Services, “We are always seeking excellent caregivers to help seniors stay in their homes.”, “The pandemic only increased the need for qualified in-home caregivers, they will have no difficulty finding work.”
- Unemployed caregivers must apply to 5 positions per week to continue to receive benefits.
- In-home caregivers collecting unemployment will need to fill out the date, method of contact, and employer, agency, or website they used to seek work.
- DEO’s website states that failing to provide five job contacts per week could result in the delay or denial of benefits for the week.
- Qualified In-Home caregivers should not have any difficulty finding work in this current environment.
Are you a caregiver seeking work? Abby Services is here for you. We have new opportunities daily. To be considered you must register with us. It’s easy, to get started just click the link.
Once you have submitted your info you can call Abby Services to see what the next step is.